Currently reading aloud: The Story of the Treasure Seekers (so funny!).
Yes. These girls.
With all kids at home all day for almost six weeks (except when playing soccer or dancing) I have re- scheduled some things for our home school day. Here is our general schedule for this break, including David's and mine (somewhat). The caveat is that I have really slacked on CC review and Catechism/verse review during this break time, not really on purpose, it just kind of happened. Lots of free play, putting out fights, jumping on trampoline, even PE was added (for a week so far).
Here we go:
- 5:45 (David's alarm is loud!): He is up, in the word, doing mobility stretches.
- 6:10-6:20: I stumble out into the world. Coffee is ready. I stretch a bit too. Get in the word.
- 6:50: David goes on 1km+ prayer walk, if time he may do 2 laps and do his language flashcards on his phone.
- 7:05ish: I start breakfast, kids start rolling out.
- 7:15-30ish: breakfast
- 7:30 David is usually out the door, going to the office, sometimes earlier.
- 8:00-8:15ish: circle time starts: (the kids like to do their Chinese school start up routine which includes a bow and good morning to the teacher, me!)
- Bible, prayer (10 minutes)
- Poetry reading (Shel Silverstein at the moment) 10 min.
- Shakespeare: (this is what I chose to do for the break as an elective that I never get to). Using 'How to teach your children Shakespeare' we are memorizing and learning and the kids LOVE it! They already know the story of 'A Midsummer Nights Dream' so starting here was great. Plus it is not a tragedy. Even Gabrielle (who has yet to master her colors) can quote these lines (10 minutes)
- 8:45: Core: I teach Tobin (LA and math), girls do whatever they can do without me (from a check off list). G roams or plays with given toys.
- 9:30: PE. outside we run a warm up small lap and then 'suicide' sprints. Sophia did these at soccer and while this was hard, the kids liked to say they could do it. I increased the amount every day and did it in intervals. We did this for a solid week!
- 10: 15 (after a little break): Core with girls, Language Arts, any math that needs teaching. Tobin is done until history.
- 11:15 (or if we don't get to it here we do it after lunch): History. I completely changed up history this year. We are on two weeks of the US Civil War. I used SOTW, a few great pic book read alouds, some NEST Videos and History Pockets.
- 12:00 lunch! David comes home for lunch and exercise then back to office!
- 12:30: read aloud, and done with our day unless we add CC review or need to do our history.
- 1:00, mommy works out or runs. Kids have down time, finish any assignments and then can play!
- Afternoon: for a whole week I planned fun activities almost every day to do with the kids. Play place + ice cream, play date + cake decorating, etc. I had planned science projects but did not get to them...The second week I had way too much work to do, but kids did help me bake!
- This has been very fluid and fun. No stress, no push. The girls wanted to get stuff done (to have longer to play in the afternoon) so sometimes they would start their list before breakfast!
By the kids:
- Sophia just finished Level 4 of The Phonics Road, and is almost done with Level 4 Singapore math (supplemented with Life of Fred and Miquon) (mommy loves math). She will start Latin in March and has concluded her formal English language arts study as a whole! Latin will follow up nicely and we will continue spelling review and some writing assignments (IEW).
- Bella is half way through level 3 The Phonics Road, almost done with Level 2 Singapore Math (supplemented with Life of Fred and Miquon)
- Tobin is almost half way through Level 1 of The Phonics Road and in Right Start Math level B.
- Gabrielle will start Chinese kindergarten and 'tot school' with mom in March.
- We are at a perfect spot to break completely for 2 weeks while Poppy and CC visit!
The girls check-off list:
- Bible Reading
- English reading
- Chinese Reading (they are supposed to read 2-3 pages a day of stories)
- Chinese writing (homework assignments in a work book and for Sophia character writing from memory (listen and write)).
- Piano practice (or class)
- (during semester they do catechism review and verses on a phone flashcard system, I dropped the ball here and have not enforced it)