Thursday, November 12, 2009

Anticipation

One word: Sailhamer.
Long overdue. Years overdue, in our opinion. This is perhaps the most anticipated event of our marriage (okay, a little exaggeration). The simple publication of a book. Not just any book, his book. He was our favorite professor, the kind that makes you laugh, and really makes you think. The kind of genius that astounds you and actually teaches you something. He just gets stuff and then brings it to the bottom shelf, to help us get it too. We have spent many an hour talking and rehashing Sailhamerian views, reliving 'ah ha' moments. Missing those days...and waiting....waiting for the book (or books, hopefully).

At least four people wrote me and asked if they could get this newly published treasure for David for his birthday. I said, sorry to disappoint but David pre-ordered on pre-publication, and anything else pre- that you can do to a book, he did it. If there was a premiere book selling, grand hoopla thingy to get the book (and if we lived in the States), he would have waited in line all night for it, much like we used to do for football tickets to a good game. Yes, this is how much he loves Sailhamer, we both do, really.

Here is an example of our mutual appreciation for this man:

We were in Bangkok, at a guest house. David was going downstairs to the kitchen for a snack: 'I will be right back,' were his last words. Two hours later he comes in. I am almost asleep and a little frustrated (we hadn't even really talked about the day). 'I thought you were coming right back.' And with the best puppy dog frown he could muster (it alone almost made me laugh), he said: 'I am sorry, but we were talking about Sailhamer.' And then I really do laugh out loud and almost wake up Bella. I give a genuine smile and reply: 'Well at least you didn't pass me up for some guy you just met, but for Sailhamer, I understand.' And I really do understand.

The book? It is in a package to us that was supposed to arrive three days ago. We are racking our brains, coming up with all kinds of scenarios as to where the package is. He has never anticipated a package like this before, I would say he is 'giddy' but a very famous person already used that word to describe himself as he poured over the book. And giddy doesn't quite do it justice...it is so fun to watch David like this. When it does arrive I am thinking about guilt tripping David into letting me read it first, how cruel would that be? Pray it arrives intact and SOON.