yep, it was a Monday. Mondays get a bad rap, but this one deserved it.
It started at 2:52 a.m. Bella called and said her leg was hurting her. She was in pain, I don't think she was faking it. She didn't go back to sleep for awhile.
Droggy as we were, our house awoke again at a more normal hour. Our helper called and said she was not feeling well.
We decided that this would be a good morning to work on our visa stuff. Take all the kids, they could stay in the car and color and sing at the various stops necessary and we could get something done!
First stop. Chest X-rays for the adults. Yes, they need to know that we don't have TB.
When I finished I returned to the car while David waited for the slip needed to take to our next stop. When he got in he asked for hand cleaner and said he hoped I had used some too (something we really don't do too much, except at hospitals, and since this was one of those mornings, I had forgotten). I had just handed out crackers to the girls and no, I had not cleaned my hands first.
"The lady next to you had TB." He had overheard the doctor talking to her, telling her to keep taking the her medicine. Niiiiiice.
Next stop, HIV test.
The kids were doing great in the car (we were the only people there and the building was typical Chinese style, with all doors leading outside, so we could see the kids from the office we were in the whole time).
When we walked in, there were younger people there in training, and then one of the older workers came in and said: "oh you are David. You are famous here (in our town). Everyone knows you." This is somewhat true, we have been in our town a while, there are only a few foreigners, David does know a lot of people. I was laughing so hard at all they were saying, because we knew they were half mistaken. And when they started talking about his playing basketball and on and on, I just doubled over. That is the other American, a bit taller, much darker hair, mustache, goatee. Hilarious. (one day I will have to tell you the British guys' take on meeting David, after hearing about him from multiple taxi drivers, another story, also hilarious)
Back to the blood draw.
I don't do great with my own blood or needles coming my way, but over the years I have gotten quite used to it and a lot better at it. When taking multiple vials of my blood I warn the nurses and they get juice ready. But this was just one vial, no biggy. I had not eaten breakfast. I jumped up when she was done, started talking about what was next and then the swab fell to the floor and blood started pouring out of my vein. I turned around for another one and said: "Wait. I think I need to sit down"....famous words. Ut Oh.
And I did sit. and I was fine. So I got up and started walking out of the door (fresh air). At the stairwell I said, I need to sit down again. Right there on the stairs I laid down, I didn't pass out, I was just really feeling bad. The dizziness that had started had not subsided fully, I couldn't figure out why. I kept saying, I will be fine in a minute. But I wasn't.
The nurse and ladies helping us helped David get me to a proper cot to lay on. Things did start going black, but I did not fully pass out. I heard all that they were saying, and outside of the room David chatted with them and later filled me in on what they were saying.
He told them I had really low blood pressure, had not eaten, and do not like getting my blood drawn.
They were very concerned about my blood pressure and told him I need to get it higher or one day I may pass out and not wake up again (comforting!).
They asked him if he wanted them to call for an ambulance to go to the hospital (seriously?).
They covered me with a thick blanket even though David was asking for a wet cloth and tried to wipe my face, which was what I needed. They were so great to me, but I still took the blanket off.
They said that three kids was too much and I did not need to have anymore!
yes, the commentary was interesting. As I laid there I thought: "I am going to bring these ladies some banana bread for taking such good care of me".
And finally I got up and out of there, apologizing profusely, and thanking them.
The kids still were doing great during all this, they did get out for a bit and then finally we left and made it home.
Yes, one of those mornings. When everything goes.......just as God planned.
And I did take those ladies banana bread the next day, and they assured me they were just doing their job. Even still, I was thankful for them.