Thursday, September 19, 2013

Gabrielle Shalom: Hours before the birth

(we have decided that I will stay in hospital about 5 days, what insurance allows, to take advantage of all the help here with the baby. This means David and the other kiddos come visit me once a day for a few hours and love on their meimei (little sis). This also means that when I am not nursing, holding, loving on Gabrielle, or sleeping, then I am resting, or like now, trying to get posting/capturing in because when we go back home, it probably won't happen. I am SO thankful for this time here in this place to rest and praise God and enjoy Gabrielle).

Each of our children's births have been unique, even though all 4 have been C-sections. This was the first time I was not in labor going in. The difference means I actually had time to ponder all that was about to transpire, and I won't go into the medical details, but it is not fun. When in labor, you are begging for relief, when going in without pain, your asking for pain. I can honestly say that I was 100% more calm than I thought. The night before I had normal 9 month prego sleep without anxiety, and God's grace abounded in every conceivable way. I KNOW that so many people were praying for me, and He answered!

We fed the kiddos donuts they had picked out the night before! Our friends arrived at 7:30 a.m. sharp to help.

Bella: pink frosted
 Tobin: glazed twist
 Sophia: chocolate covered

We arrived at 7:45ish to be admitted to the hospital.
 Getting my bracelet.
Do you need a wheelchair? No, thanks. 

The only laboring going on in this room was trying to find a vein for my IV. This happens every time, and I forgot to warn the nurse. She may have set the record, 5 pricks, 3 nurses. I should have told her to go get her best vein finder. She kept apologizing. My hands were bruised up a bit. These hurt worse than the spinal I received later.

the corridor. 
 David was just trying to break the rules.
 We knew they let us have a camera in the operating room. Here I am prepped and ready, and filled with drugs. This is not natural child birth, folks, but it is what it is and I am so thankful for it, and my doc who is super skilled!
Gabrielle was minutes from being born. While all the prep was going on, I was taking my mind off of it by going down my list of prayer needs in my head, this was so helpful. Really. Without trying to be super spiritual or anything, this was a calming thing that got me focused on others, not my immediate situation.