Again, early in the afternoon the other day, the Earth shook. It is always unsettling. Except that I wasn't unsettled. I barely noticed. I was in between rooms, I heard a slight little roar and rattle and shake. David came out of his office and said 'it is an earthquake.' And 'worse than the other week.' We were not sure what to do really, go down four flights of stairs? This is what we usually do, but we know stairwells are the worst place to be in an earthquake. So we went on with our lives. I sat on the couch and read aloud to the girls before their nap.
Meanwhile, not 50 km from us, buildings had fallen, lives had been lost, many had been injured. And we find out through phone calls of worried friends, checking on us.
In the aftermath I become more contemplative, of course. And am reminded of the zero control that I have over this life. The allusion that I sometimes live by that I am an independent creature is torn down with those buildings. What an affront to the creator of the universe, who shakes the Earth, who protects and provides, who gives and takes away. Solely dependent on HIM, I am. And what rest is found there. Rest, not worry. In His Word I reside, for if I don't I would be as unsettled as this shaking ground, frantic with fear and worry, troubled by what the next moment may bring. But I rest and do not worry. And I trust, and ask for greater trust, greater faith, greater peace. And he gives abundantly. "Keep me safe my God, for in you I take refuge. I say to the Lord, you are my Lord, apart from you I have no good thing."