Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Classical conversations 2: Cycle overview, tweaking and weekly prep



I reread my last post and overwhelmed myself. Please do not be overwhelmed, once you get your hands on the stuff it all comes together, trust me, and trust the method. You don’t have to do any of the extra laminating, etc. If all you did was play the audio (which I know many people that this is exactly what they do), it is enough and will benefit your children immensely.

I also forgot to mention that each cycle is only 24 weeks long and meant to go one year, that means take some breaks in there, don’t fret if you think your kids aren’t getting it, enjoy the freedom of the 24 weeks to work your overseas schedule how you want. In the U.S. this is broken up into 2 x 12 week semesters. We usually go 4-6 weeks before something comes up to make us skip a few weeks or a month!


Brief cycle overview. Taken from the Foundations book.
·         Cycle 1, 2, and 3 all have the same TimeLine (161 facts in a chronological timeline) and includes the last weeks memorizing the U.S. presidents every cycle!
·         Cycle 1,2, and 3 all have the same Math facts (multiplication tables up to 15x15, common squares and cubes, as well as basic geometry formulas and unit conversions)
·         This means the only things changing from cycle to cycle are the other five categories of facts: History sentence, Science, Latin, English Grammar, and Geography
·         Cycle 1: 24 history sentences that add depth to the timeline, focusing on Ancient History, Science facts focusing on Biology and geology, English Grammar facts (prepositions, helping verbs, linking verbs), 5 Latin noun endings and their singular and plural declensions, 120 geographic features in Africa, Europe, and the Old World.
·         Cycle 2: 24 history sentences that add depth to the timeline focusing on Middle ages to Modern World History, Science facts focusing on Ecology, Astronomy, and Physics, English grammar facts (pronouns, adjectives, and adverbs), Latin verb endings and the first conjugation, over 100 locations and geographic features in Europe Asia, and select parts of the world.
·         Cycle 3: 24 history sentences that add depth to the timeline focusing on American History (including Preamble to the U.S. Constitution and the Bill of Rights), Science facts focusing on Anatomy, Chemistry, and Origins, English grammar facts including the principle parts of 11 irregular verbs), Latin rules and vocab (including the text of John 1:1-7 in Latin and English), 120 locations and geographic features in North America (focusing on the U.S.)

Tweaking
You can tweak the above any way you like. I have not done much tweaking except by way of review. For example, since I know the math is the same every cycle, when it gets to reviewing the squares and cubes and multiplication tables for 13, 14, and 15 I slack quite a bit! Also I know my kids know the geography facts but forget the actual locations on the map because I don’t review that much, I am okay with that, I will make them learn it in later years. It is enough for now that my 5 yo and 3 yo know what makes up the geography of the Byzantine Empire.
Other ways you could adjust is to drop a whole subject if you would like. This is what I love about not being accountable to a real community. I have not dropped a subject yet, but can if I want to. OR you can add a subject. David is getting our catechism to coincide with the cycles and weeks which I may just add to our CC day. OR Cycle 3 has heavy focus on American history, which I want our children to learn. BUT in the off weeks I could use the same method to come up with deeper Chinese History/dynasties, etc. and even/especially more specific Asian Geography. Sounds like a good idea if I ever get around to it. Also, Leigh Bortins herself says in one of the overviews that there is no literature memory work and build that in as you like. For those doing First Language Lessons or something else, poetry memory is already there.

My weekly preparation, etc:
I spend an hour give or take preparing for my CC introduction day. I do not do my ‘fine arts’ or ‘Science Experiment’ on my CC day (if I do them at all). Choose whichever ‘intro’ day you like. Mine is usually Tuesday, This week I post-poned to Thursday because of illness, this just means I slowly adjust back if I want to get back on a Tuesday CC day.  Another thing I love about doing this here and not in the U.S.
Timeline: CC provides the song (on the audio cd) and hand motions on their website. On their website go to ‘CC Connected: Foundations: Classical Learning Center: Timeline motions’ If internet is slow this can be troublesome. CC connected has links to detailed instructions and reasoning behind the motions. I actually learn the motions and teach to the kids but do not hold them accountable for the motions. But during review they have to be saying it with me, not doing it unless they want to. Most parents I know do not learn the motions, but I do, completely up to you. Most real CC trained Tutors do learn the motions. I go through this a few times until I know it then continue to learn it as I introduce it. I actually try most weeks (not all) to read the cards before-hand in case I get a question. This is not necessary and can be completely done on the fly. Prep: 15-20 minutes (a guess).
History sentence: CC provides the song for this as well and most are really good. When I first saw some of the history sentences I thought no way my kids could learn them, but they do. There are also motions written down I found on CC connected, but they are not super necessary either. My kids get it simply by the song. Recently I have been getting on Pinterest and seeing what other people do to enhance. I have shown a few youtube videos that go along with whatever we are talking about. This prep is 5—10 minutes.
Math: weeks 1-12. All songs are provided. 13-24 I get songs from CC connected. You can learn this with your child, making prep minimal. For some tutors I know they write out all skip counting numbers and add visuals, do what you like, I am sure this would be helpful for the higher numbers. But math is the same every cycle! Prep: Less than 5 minutes.
Latin: I just listen to this to see what I am getting into that week, all jingles are provided for Cycle 1 at least, not sure about the others. I will talk more about ‘activities to make it fun’ when I discuss what the intro day looks like. Latin gets harder into the Cycles, not sure what this will look like for me in cycle 3. But cycle 1 has lots of Latin review built in! They spend 4 weeks on the same thing spread throughout. This is no prep time.
Science:  No jingles/song are provided for this subject on the audio CD. I look at the science fact and if I cannot come up with a jingle/song on my own I go to CC connected and get it from there. 10-15 minutes prep.
Geography: No jingles/song are provided for this subject on the audio CD. Same as Science, If I cannot come up with a jingle/song on my own (think up old/kids song tunes) then I go to CC connected and get it from there. 10 minutes.
English Grammar: Weeks 1-12 there is a youtube link to a great video that does an awesome dance that I did learn week by week. My kids loved it. Weeks 13-24, helping verbs and linking verbs I am using CC connected folks to get songs. 10 minutes.

All of that said, I know people doing CC overseas who say their prep time is zero. It is totally up to you how much you want to put into it. 

Next post: what my CC day looks like!