Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Classical conversations: our review



CC Review:  Because David really wants to learn all this stuff with us (or most of the subjects), we review all the stuff 1-2x the same night of our CC intro day. We do this right before bed, and the kids love it because they are ‘teaching daddy the new stuff’. This takes about 5-6 minutes total

On other days we do CC review right after lunch, also usually when daddy has 10 minutes to do it with us. On normal days I do not spend more than 15 minutes in review, and sometimes only 5. The first few days after an intro I just review that stuff to keep it fresh, toward the end of that week I review older stuff along with the new stuff. I feel like we memorized the earlier weeks better because every time I took them to school on the electric scooter or in the car, we would sing the songs and try to get through every subject, if we did a lot then, we sometimes would do a quick 5 min review at lunch, or not.

On Saturdays we try to do a more thorough review through games right before I open the ‘school store’ where they spend ‘school bucks’ on small toys or small candy. They do get ‘school bucks’ for CC and reviews, it is good incentive. Early on I would give treats after a good review, daily. I stopped this and reminded that they get ‘school bucks’ and get their treats at the end of the week.  Other incentives include: letting them dance around crazy (as long as they are saying it with me), or stand on the coffee table!

Now, as the facts build up through the weeks, sometimes you may feel lost in review. There are many ways to build good review systems and quite honestly I have just been feeling my way through it. I know what they are weak in and strong in, and I usually know what is coming, etc.  But I do try to go through every previous fact for every week (we are on week 15) at least 1x that week.  We do the full timeline up to the part we are on probably 2x/week (with doing the current sections or current few weeks daily).

Some people break up the subjects and review different subjects on different days. For example: Mon: TimeLIne and Latin, Tues: History and Science, Weds: Math and English Thurs: Geography, and Timeline, or something like that….