I am not sure I will stick with this series while you are gone this time. But for today, here I am.
I decided to make today the day we have real special times in your 5 day absence. Of course starting tomorrow it is back to the grind and we will be busy!
I was thankful you made your delicious french toast and helped gear the kids to be big helpers while you are away.
After we left you at the airport (and Sophia cried more), we went to the store to buy some snacks for our 'tea party'. Each got to choose a special under 10 kuai special candy or something. Tobin chose a cool car that flips when it hits a wall. He always chooses the best things because they last longer than the candy!
I bought them oreos (so special) and made their favorite punch with the last two packets I had from America. I promised them we would par-tay after I got up from my nap! Yes, I wasn't feeling great, not sure if it was from my early run or if I am fighting the virus Bella had last week, but I knew I needed rest.
When we arrived home friends were playing on the swings. This was perfect, K and I got to catch up while the kids played. Our kids HAD to show J and A the house and train track going around it. Then Sophia recruited all girls to play school while J and Tobin played kungfu and other boy stuff. K and I actually could talk. It was great!
We had Sunday soup for lunch. I thought the chili flavor made it delicious, but the kiddos only said 'so-so'. They love their Asian soups.
Our power did go off as scheduled at 12:30, but the ipad had power so I put on the only movie on that device, Dolphin Tale 2, which they love!
I put Gabrielle down and I was able to sleep as well. Apparently I slept longer than she did, they had gotten her up and said she started crying at 2 pm. I got up at 2:30 feeling much better.
Then I got things ready for our tea party. The only thing that makes this a tea party is that we put our juice in a tea pot and drink out of real tea glasses like civilized people.
Gabrielle wanted their candy (and I gave her a half of a skittle, or 2), and she loves the fruit punch as well. (get that hair out of her eyes, will you mama?)
While we snacked, we prayed for you! We also read each note you gave us, and that was very special and they loved it. I read aloud the note you wrote me too and I think it helped them think through some things (as you mentioned things I do that they may not notice). I wasn't trying to be self-serving in this, I just mention it because later, when Sophia wrote me a note in our back-and-forth journal she mentioned some of the same things you did and she never has before. Thanks for leading our family like this even while you are away!
Then I decided to have a teeny little mini 'state fair'. They have no idea what a real one is like so this was no problem. I had three games. Toss the rings into a square, shoot the doll with the bow and arrow, and toss balls into a basket.
Poor baby doll. The kids loved all of these, and actually really struggled with some of them. Tobin was the best at the bow of course because it is his and he shoots it all of the time. The kids all got 'tickets' or tally marks redeemable for a gift. Except I only had a gift suitable for Tobin, so I let Sophia and Bella redeem theirs on our outing later.
Bella had made you an encoded 'I miss you daddy' sign.
And already a 'welcome home' sign, though you had not been gone 5 hours.
I also had decided to brave the shangchang, 'mall', and kfc, to top off the 'very special day'. The ShangChang is crazy enough when you are with us, and it was no less so, except I put all kids on guard, and made sure they listened well. We were buying Bella a new, much needed, back pack, big enough to fit all of her books. She found one we both loved in less than 10 minutes. I love that she is not afraid to choose something different. This is not at all what Sophia would have chosen. It is red and white polka dots!
Next stop, we crossed the street to the mall bookstore, but the girls couldn't find anything there, but Miniso (the Japanese gift shop) never fails, and is extremely affordable. And off to KFC, while rain came out of no where.
There is still some kind of sewer problem right there, so it stunk. But in we went. They went upstairs to play while I got the food. We went down stairs for ice cream and the guys behind us mentioned (not to us) about the 'xiao LaoWais' (small outsiders).
This sparked quite the discussion with Tobin, who had overheard them.
T: some people call me xiao LaoWai
Me: who, at school?
T: no, when we go buy ManTou with Ayi (our helper)
Me: Oh, yeah, I bet
T: what is a xiao LaoWai?
Me: it is just like a 'wai guo ren', someone from another country, and since we are not Chinese, they call you that.
T: Oh, well I am not a xiao lao wai.
Me: hmm...well, you kind of are, but I know it is hard to think that you are from somewhere else.
Then he started calling Sophia and Bella, xiao Laowai as if it were a bad thing (and I know sometimes it can be). This unsettled the KFC lady who was right there and she really tried to encourage me that this was just a saying, not a bad thing. And I knew it and said no problem.
The guys behind us who started this whole thing were laughing, and we all were really. I reminded Sophia that she had the same conundrum when she was 3-4, she asked how people knew she was a foreigner. She said: 'yeah, I remember, I thought I was brown just like them'.
Gabrielle went straight to sleep since she had such a short nap, the girls too, are out, though Sophia said she could read all night.
Tomorrow a full school day, praying for gentlekindness on my tongue and grace for all the moments I am tempted for it not to be. Also praying you get some good rest, relaxation, and feel truly free from worries of home. We are in HIS hands, trusting, and resting ourselves.
A snapshot for you:
We love and miss you!!!