I know you know all of this, but just to finish the series...
Day 5 was a difficult day. It always is.
We had been grace filled in all of our mistakes and short tempers thus far. The grace was no different this day, it was just harder to recognize in the shorter tempers and contrariness displayed (in myself too).
Isn't that grace? That in rebellion we are loved. And we are rescued from our own self-absorption, selfishness, self-whatever...Maybe I should say God's grace abounded even more that day....
In the middle of the night I tossed and turned. I realized my sleep was barely restful and some time in the wee hours of the morning I changed my alarm to 6:30 not 5:30. My intention was to interval run around our neighborhood.
And even though I left Sophia a note, I knew I would still get up before her so I didn't take it down during my mid-night change of plans.
At 5:30 I heard something I had never heard in my sleep before: One of our big bolted doors was opened. I jumped out of bed, literally. I immediately saw Sophia and Bella's bedroom door open and then my heart calmed. My brain put together what had happened.
I walked out and there stood Sophia. I told her she had over an hour of sleep left and that I wasn't running. She had read the clock wrong.
She did turn the laundry room light on, but also opened the heavy metal door because you cannot tell if the light is on or not.
Thus started our day. We both went back to bed to not very restful sleep. By the time they needed to go to school Sophia was almost refusing to go. I told her she could call me if she was really too tired.
I got the morning going. Did my normal routine with Tobin.
Except he fought me tooth and nail. He would not trust that we would read only 10 minutes and it would be easy. This led to him disrespecting me quite a bit, and then refusing to submit to the discipline process. That sounds so funny as I write it. Of course he refuses, his hole is digging deeper and he is being fueled by his emotions and self-preservation.
I finally did resolve the entire episode promptly to his complete surprise and then said: 'we are done.'
We hugged and kissed and prayed together. This was just what was needed.
We read together, I read to him for a longer period of time and we enjoyed playing with Gabrielle together too.
I finally decided I would do a 5k run of intervals at 9 a.m. (yes, all that happened before 9 a.m.)
Tobin wanted to bike with me. I told him every loop I would run by the back way and he could bike some with me, he was so excited.
Three-fourths of my way around, Sophia called afraid she would fall asleep in class and be rapped on the hand or scolded by the teacher. I went to pick her up.
I put her in bed for a bit, knowing she wouldn't sleep. I ran one loop just so Tobin could bike with me, it was a faster pace so I felt like I had at least done something.
Next we started on cheesecake for you and K's birthday.
Sophia got up and we actually did some school stuff. This was helpful to be done early.
I picked up Bella at 10:40, and cleaned, and cleaned her classroom!
More school.
Things were moving fast, everyone excited about your return. By early afternoon we had heard from you. Praise.
But grouchy grumpies by almost everyone, except maybe Bella (even-keeled, go with the flow, stabilizer of our fam) had us diffuse some situations.
It was blazing hot, but I finally did decide, once for all to get my run in, especially since we talked about changing my half marathon to this weekend.
A short, 4-5 laps with intervals while the kids started watching Narnia. This was needed down time, and break time for me.
We worked on Chinese homework and warmed up leftovers for dinner.
Then it was clean up get ready for daddy time.
In the car to pick you up I almost turned around. I had to stop and discipline, not Tobin this time. With the eldest crying and defiant, and me talking/lecturing (not a good parenting device usually), we drove to the airport. At one point she told me I talked about it too much (her wrongs) and she is right.
I was surprisingly calm during this and she apologized and I talked through how to wisely talk to me, and her need to actually listen to correction.We agreed to work on our communication, her on humility and listening, me on talking less and working to understand more. This happened in the ten minutes it took us to get up the road.
And then God blessed us with the most beautiful orange and pink and blue sunset behind the mountains. Breathtaking. We marveled at such grace. And Bella spotted your airplane landing, we were still five minutes out.
Also by God's grace I slowly proceeded when my red light turned green. This was the highway and an SUV came flying and ran his red light almost plowing right into us. Seriously, only God's providence could have made me pause and pay attention that way. My heart skipped a major beat, much like it had at the wake-up of my day.
And then we greeted you!
We did miss you lots but lived so much in the reality of His goodness and forgiveness in our brokenness.
You brought goodies, sticky rice! Manao soda! And cool gifts for the kiddos.
So glad my best friend is home.