Saturday, October 31, 2015

White Chicken Enchiladas

I felt great the two days after my run. My hamstrings and glutes were sore in ways they never have been before, but other than that I was good.

On Monday, after a KB workout I started feeling ill and have felt that way ever since. Low grade fever and aches. No other symptoms. Probably just a virus. I have had to nap almost every day. Thankfully it was an already planned much slower Homeschool week. I am still doing all my duties and able to do them, I just feel ick! And I know you all know the feeling.

On my menu plan was Mexican, which is usually a little involved around here. I ran out of taobao bought tortillas so I taught our helper how to make them last week and this time she did it almost all on her own! On Thursday we made salsa. David brought me pinto beans from Thailand so I soaked those. It is my opinion that almost any bean can work in my 'refried bean' recipe. And I never re-fry them either. No lard whatsoever in these, but just as flavorful.

I tried a new recipe and it was a huge  hit! I did change it up a bit based on what I had available of course, Here is the link to the original.


Here is her list of ingredients and directions with my additions:

  • 10 soft taco shells (I made 12 and had to use homemade tortillas)
  • 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken (I cooked chicken quarters in the crockpot with salt, pepper, garlic powder nothing else on high a few hours, then shredded the chicken, so tender and flavorful, this is how I cook all my chicken when I need it in chunks or shredded)
  • 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese (I had to use half Gouda half Mozzarella, not very Mexcian I know but it was great, though Jack cheese would have been even better)
  • 3 Tbsp. butter
  • 3 Tbsp. flour
  • 2 cups chicken broth (this was homemade and quite fatty which made the whole thing creamier, I think)
  • 1 cup sour cream  (made by adding vinegar to my cream)
  • 1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies (definitely don't have these, I used my very spicy mock Jalapenos and this is what MADE this dish, it added the right amount of spice to the sauce, I divided it actually because I wasn't sure the kids would love it, theirs had no peppers)
Instructions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 pan
  2. Mix chicken and 1 cup cheese. Roll up in tortillas and place in pan.
  3. In a sauce pan, melt butter, stir in flour and cook 1 minute. Add broth and whisk until smooth. Heat over medium heat until thick and bubbly.
  4. Stir in sour cream and chilies. Do not bring to boil, you don't want curdled sour cream.
  5. Pour over enchiladas and top with remaining cheese.
  6. Bake 22 min and then under high broil for 3 min to brown the cheese.

I served this with mashed pintos (my 'refried beans', re-posted below), shredded lettuce, tomato, sour cream, and homemade salsa. 
Even our helper liked it! 
In the original link she says the chilis don't make it spicy, but mine are and we love them, I wouldn't go back.


I half this recipe, put beans in water, soak overnight, then I usually only need to cook 4-5 hours, and I don't put in cumin, you can add jalapenos to this as well, but I don't.
REFRIED BEANS
  • 1 onion, peeled and halved
  • 3 cups dry pinto beans, rinsed
  • 2 tablespoons minced garlic
  • 5 teaspoons salt
  • 1 3/4 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin, optional
  • 9 cups water
Directions
  1. Place the onion, rinsed beans, garlic, salt, pepper, and cumin into a slow cooker. Pour in the water and stir to combine. Cook on High for 8 hours, adding more water as needed. Note: if more than 1 cup of water has evaporated during cooking, then the temperature is too high.
  2. Once the beans have cooked, strain them, and reserve the liquid. Mash the beans with a potato masher, adding the reserved water as needed to attain desired consistency.