Friday, January 21, 2011

2011 book list

I don't make a 'to read' list every year, but I definitely wanted to for 2011.

I have had 40 books on my list before, but in a ‘newborn’ year, no way, if I read more than this great, less, no problem either. I usually read two at a time aim at a chapter in each a day (or more). Right now I am reading ‘standing on the promises’(parenting) and ‘organized simplicity’. I am loving both. ‘Standing’ is weighty in some of his beginning chapters about cov’t theol as it relates to parenting, this has brought up great discussion for David and me (love those kinds of books, David always teaches me so much). Organized simplicity (home management) is really resonating with me too, I think this lady and I are cut from the same mold!


I always try to do one ‘harder’ book , one that will really make me think, and then an easier read together. I plan on reading ‘meaning of the Pentateuch’ next, not all of it, just the parts that blew David away when he read it, this will be like being back in grad school and I am excited about it, but I can’t read that with a newborn. I know I won’t read ‘Religious Affections’ by Jonathan Edwards, with a newborn either, it is a hard read but SO worth it, this is reread for me, it rocked my world in grad school, is deep, but so challenging. So I plan to get those two read in the next two months, and they may take that long (ha).


I also always plan on never making it through my list, giving grace there, and having enough variety to allow me to choose what is best at that time. If a book is not ‘working’ for me in some ways I have no problem putting it down. But sometimes I need to work through a book anyway. (I put down Brainard’s biography 2x before I finished it b/c it was so depressing, but it was WELL worth the read at the right time). A book is all about timing and content!


For what it is worth, here is what I hope to get into this year, these are in random order not my intended reading order:


Marriage:

  1. War of words
  1. As unto the lord, a workbook, questions for wives

Homeschooling

  1. Review Latin centered curriculum
  2. Review 100 easy lessons,
  1. Review ordinary parent's guide to teaching reading
  1. Look at Veritas kindergarten

Parenting

  1. Standing on the promises (reading now)
  1. Gospel powered parenting
  2. Sacred parenting

Home/womanhood

  1. Radical womanhood
  2. Designing a lifestyle that pleases God
  3. Creative family, Soule
  4. Organized simplicity (reading now)

Other/counseling

  1. Getting things done
  2. Thrive, vegan nutrition guide to opt…
  3. You can change, chester
  4. Bookends of the christian life
  5. Just do something, Kevin DeYoung
  6. Running scared, welch
  1. Relationships: a mess worth making, Lane and Tripp
  1. Pilgrim's progress (a reread)
  2. Grow great grub

Theo/ sp growth

  1. The meaning of the Pentateuch, Sailhamer (Certain chapters, not all)
  1. Religious Affections, Edwards (reread)
  2. Humility (a reread, plan to read this every year)
  1. 1000 gifts, Ann Voskamp

Read alouds with david/and biography

  1. Unbroken (reading now, it is incredible)
  2. We have lots more on this list, but David did the choosing so I never know what will be next this year