He may not love the idea of me blogging this, but man is it blogworthy, and as I thought about this event it conjured up so many memories that I had to write something.
My brother, Herschel, five years my elder, is about to be inducted into our High School's Athletic Hall of Fame. May not sound like a huge deal, but it really is.
Herschel's 'fame' was our world for a while when he was in high school, and he took it well (meaning he wasn't an arrogant jerk, he let his actions talk, enjoyed himself, and worked extremely hard). What started with a love for the game of soccer grew to a love for running. He took up cross country, and then of course, track and field. All of these activities are great ways to get in shape for soccer season (I heard it said somewhere that midfielders can run up to 7-8 miles per game?!). And so he ran.
But Herschel was different. He was good. And by good I mean fast. He obtained a gazillion medals and entered so many very competitive meets. And we followed him everywhere, all over the state of Florida, to cheer him on. My dad, Julie, and me, his cheering section (and others too), but we were the caravan. And it was fun, truly. I honestly think on these memories and just smile. Not just because he won, and won almost every time. But because we were there, we were all there, together. For a family so broken at times, this is a purely joyful memory.
And my dad. A single dad, how he made every race, I have no idea. Every. Single. One. And he worked-- hard. And Julie and I were playing sports too, and he made our events too. At the time I took it all for granted. But as I chase around a 3 year-old and 1 year-old, I wonder at how he managed to get us all everywhere and not just drive us there but actually BE there too, he coached us on the sidelines, got us the gear we needed, and put food on the table. Yes, I will never forget, the night before one of Herschel's big races, we were bound to be eating a hearty pasta meal. Thoughtful and dedicated to his children. My dad.
Back to Herschel: Reporters would call, colleges would write. He made the front page of the sports more than once with full picture too. Why? Because he was darn fast, and because he was a State Champion. A State Champion times three, all in one year. He blew past the competition in the cross country state meet. And then headed to the Track and Field State Championship as a favorite for the mile, and a good contender for the two mile.
I remember each race, really. Cross country is a little hard to cheer on because you have to get to know the course yourself and be strategic about where to be to spur him on. We would run to every place we could and then to the finish. By the time he came around the corner, we were ecstatic…not just because he was the first, that was a surprise, but because we didn’t see anyone else coming. Wow. Cross Country State Champion, my brother, Herschel Johnson.
The track meets draw HUGE crowds. Herschel paced himself well and knew when to kick for the mile, and there you have it, Track and Field, State Champion in the 1600 meters, Herschel Johnson. I forget his time, some ungodly time of just over four minutes. Seriously? High schoolers run that fast? He did.
And then came the two mile, 3200 meters. The big crowds don't usually pay much attention to these distance races, but this one had every one on their feet. Just before the last lap bell rang, Herschel was behind, far behind. He was in second place, but by a long shot. Let's say, about 300 meters (440 is one lap, I really forget this detail, I just know he had a lot of catching up to do, it seemed impossible), this is a long way in track, and he had less than a lap to catch up. But Herschel, he saved it up, he knew when to kick, and kick he did. And that poor guy in front of him, he had nothing left. Everyone in the bleachers realized what was happening, almost before I did. I mean I was already screaming at the top of my lungs, but what was happening was truly amazing. My brother, already proven to be an amazing athlete, was showing just how huge his heart was. He was pulling an upset. And the crowd just roared for this stranger, my brother. They cheered him around the last curve, and in the last 10-20 meters he overtook the leader, and won his third state championship of the year. Unbelievable.
Yes, these were exciting times at our house. And Herschel, he took this all in stride (ha ha). I know he worked his tail off running around Gainesville, for miles and miles and miles. But at the time I did not realize just how disciplined and dedicated he was, I just knew he practiced A LOT, and excelled. Looking back I am truly amazed.
It was just a race, I know. And many have long forgotten them. But it made Herschel a champion, and we will always remember, and treasure the memories. And it is not just past events that make us so proud of my big bro, it is the person he has become, still dedicated and hardworking, he is a cherished friend.
Congrats on the Hall of Fame, bro. You deserve it. You know if I were in the States I would still be right by your side cheering you on tonight.
Excelling at work, he advises Sophia on College.
Showing us around Siesta Key, we had a great summer with Herschel.