Saturday, January 15, 2011

Sophia's last day of school

Though it is pretty cold out, the Chinese Spring Holiday has begun. School is out until Feb 28. Yes, a whole month and a half. We love it because that means no students on campus where we live (less motos, cars, traffic). It does mean fireworks, all hours of the day and night leading up until the actual Chinese New Year (the night that sounds like a war zone). This equates to less sleep until Feb 3rd. And more small kids around the neighborhood, unless they plan on traveling, which many families do...

Sophia's last day was Friday, I was informed in the morning of a parent meeting in the afternoon. I had actually already planned on taking Sophia back for one last chance of play with her friends. She really wanted to go. I put her down early for her nap and woke her up at 2:30. I went back to get her and go to the meeting at 4:30. A typical teacher meeting, I think. The teacher read four pages of information, about this past semester and general 'rules', "please give your child medicine, we cannot, please do this, don't do that. Most kids can put on and take off clothes, but we will help....they will use scissors next semester please get the rounded edge and tape their name to it..."

One child was throwing a fit and continually hitting her mom, Sophia stared in awe. Finally the mom took her child out....
The teachers then gave out the kids' school work, they must do those great crafts in the afternoon because Sophia had never done any (we may change her to the afternoon??!!)
I had some questions, but was also needing to get home so I will just have to call them later and clarify a few things....
Sophia loves school and her new friends. I hope she feels the same way next semester!


There are supposedly 49 students in her class. CRAZY.


She was acting a little shy for this picture.


As we headed out the door at lunch time she saw they were having stir fried rice: 'I love that!' she exclaimed. What the heck, it was her last day, we can stay! She ate all that was given to her!

For doing so well with going to school this semester, I gave her a few M&Ms as a treat.
Congrats girl, on a great semester of school.