Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A good start

Things were going too well, I just knew. I got Sophia off to school, a friend took her by the hand and led her to play. I replaced our lost 'entrance' card to the school, and then bought fruit on the way home. Bella and I had some good time together, as I finally taught her how to use the gift that Sophia (and Daddy) picked out for her for Christmas, this was great fine motor skill practice, and she did it no problem. Stringing big beads to make a necklace. They are all shapes, some are fruits, some animals. great buy.



wow, girl. good job.

I even took Bella on a bicycle outing. We went to the book store where I found a great Chinese version of 'guess how much I love you,' Sophia still loves this book and it will be great language practice too.

We headed home. Off to pick up Sophia from school (trip number three of the day up and down the stairs, it usually totals five or more). I watched outside the door for a minute as they sang a song with motions and I could tell she was loving it. She did not want to leave. Her friends wanted her to stay too. She wanted to eat there, but the food had not arrived. She usually likes the thought of eating there but not always the food and I hate and am embarrassed by the wastefulness of it. But....she only has two more days with these friends for a while, I reasoned. I went to the bakery and came back. They were eating rice, corn, and a sour veg that I don't even like. I made her eat half of the bowl, since she asked for it. Out the door and on the bike a whine and complain turned to crying as I refused to give her a snack....
And then ensued what I hope to be the end of the drama for the day. ...

Her complaining and bad attitude subsided a little. We received a package with goodies, and then the selfishness set in and turned to meanness towards Bella. What followed was a thirty minute session of discipline and calming down. Everything taken away. (David and I are on a serious kick to STAY consistent with first time obedience). I stuck it out. Discipline, Prayer, Forgiveness, fresh starts. Meanwhile, our helper was feeding Bella, and listening to a very dramatic Sophia through closed doors....oh well. Sophia knows if you whine for something you will not get it, end of story. We will see what happens when she wakes up from her nap and wants a piece of chocolate...

Did I expect perfect obedience while daddy was gone? No. I was just on an upswing in attitude, joy, etc. And I had to fight anger, impatience and all the other attitudes that come when a child is not doing what I would like, when a child, my child is simply acting out what my heart is feeling (complainy and whiny)...ouch. This is why I love the restoration part of our discipline sessions, restores calmness in every way, it brings us all back together, just how God intended. And He will give grace for the next time and time after that of training our children to be wise and not rebellious. Constant training for my heart and hers....
Day two without daddy, only half way done.