For her reading party and prize she got to choose a dessert, heavily weigh in on the choice of some shoes (a need right now), and go to a play place (we probably would have done this anyway on our family day, but hey, it works). She chose brownies, and I happen to have a box that we got in the mail! yeah. I let the girls help me make them:
well, help lick the mixer...
Bella got in on the action. She was a faithful supporter of Sophia's reading lessons because she often got skittles throughout. Her future cavities can be blamed on Sophia's reading.
Tobin looks on. He started rice cereal this week too. He is a hungry boy. We started with 1x/day, quickly went to 2x and pretty much are on a 3x/day schedule now, and I am still nursing 6x/day. Crazy kid.
Back to the 100 Easy Lessons. My review of the book: I went back and forth on it. But for Sophia it worked well (though we had days I wanted to just throw the whole thing out the window). Supposedly the book says she is on a second grade reading level. I am not sure and I don't really care. The point was she was ready to learn to read, and got the gist of it as soon as we started. But possibly if one of our other children do not show such readiness signs I would definitely wait and would possibly go with a fuller phonics curriculum at five years old. But I may just stick with using this for all our kids. It is no frills, but works well. I was pleased.
What now? I have some books that are way too easy for her, but they are building her confidence and she loves they idea of reading books. She often picks up other books, Bible included and starts trying to read. K let me borrow some of Veritas Press' early readers and we will get to those soon too. And I may supplement with review by looking through lessons of 'Ordinary Parents Guide to teaching reading,' but mainly we will just read books. every day.