Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Our homeschool: some disclaimers.

I am about to start posting about Sophia's K4 year, what we did, what we liked, how things went. Then I hope to post about what our loose plans are for her K5, and Bella's preschool. Before I do that I wanted to offer these disclaimers:
  1.  Sophia is our first child (duh), and so the learning curve on this whole Homeschool gig starts with her (poor thing). I am documenting here mainly for family journal purposes and so I can remember what I have done and how it went. Do I plan to do the exact same thing with Bella? I am not sure at all. Sophia took to reading early and pushed through and at not yet five is a great reader. Bella may not read until 7. And Tobin? who knows. I already know that all three have different personalities and may have different strengths and weaknesses. And while I hope to not be a curriculum 'jumper' I will do any change-up necessary to give our kids a joy of learning. 
  2. I started researching homeschooling curricula and philosophy when Bella was in my belly, which means Sophia was not yet two. David and I both really fell in love with the 'Classical' approach, which seems to be all the rave right now (or neo-classical as it is sometimes called). We really enjoyed The Latin-Centered Curriculum approach, and also read so many other things. We haven't even yet started, but this is the trajectory we hope to take and stick with. 
  3. The more I researched HS (homeschool) stuff the more I fell in love with the idea of being the primary educator of my children. If we were to move back to the U.S. or to a place that had viable schooling options, I really would still love to homeschool. But this is just what is in my brain right now. I say that, but would it happen? Not sure. In about 4 years when I am teaching all three at once, ask me again. 
  4. I read somewhere recently that one of the things that causes women the most angst and depression is blog-reading. The point was that the picture perfect world on the internet tears at the reality being lived out by those reading and wreaks havoc on a once satisfied but messy life. The more I have read blog posts of women homeschooling multiple children the more I have walked away saying 'how in the world'? So I am not immune. I hope to always be honest and real, but this medium of internet has it limits to what can be revealed, and so too does the editor (ME!). Grace upon grace is how we live. Please live it with me (ie, bear with me).