Saturday, September 6, 2014

America 23: A Fall, the Park, and Kid's Museum

On the day that CC went with Sophia and Bella and me to Raleigh, Laura was in town and she, David, and Poppy took the kids to the city park again. We were thankful for how many times Laura took the 3 hour trip to B-town to be with us.
But let's back up a bit and capture a story worth telling. I hope Laura doesn't mind. 
We were rushing around getting ready for our girls trip out. CC went to the doctor I think, and Poppy went with her. Either way, Laura was at their house with her boys and David dropped Tobin off while he ran an errand (probably to Best Buy, since he spent a LOT of time there).

The other girls and I were at our house getting ready for our lunch outing and play. I did not know that Tobin was down the street with Laura. Then I got a call from Laura, that went something like this:
'Hey, are you almost ready?'
"Yes, getting there."
"Tobin is down here with us and Ryan hit his head, and I can't tell how bad it is, could you come down here and help me out?" (her other boy, Seth, is at the stage where he usually needs all eyes on him,so she had her hands full)
"Sure. Where is David? He has the car with the car seats. (then I kinda let what she was saying sink in a bit and read into her unsteady voice)...Okay, don't worry, I will come down there no matter what. Hang on, be there in a minute." 

I told the girls to hurry, we needed to go help Laura, and we were going to ride 'Chinese Style' down the street in our car. That meant no car seats. Sophia held Gabrielle (yep, she did), and Bella sat in the other seat, all buckled up of course, because we were not trying to break too many laws.

When we walked in, Laura was combing through Ryan's hair with her hands. He was not crying, but he had been. When she turned towards me, blood was all down her neck, not sure how it got there but it was all on her hands too. She was trying to get to the wound to see how deep and how bad it was. I tried to take over. Ryan did great, he let me get all in his head and found the wound to be pretty much not bleeding anymore and it was not an inch long. It was hard recommending what to do, it definitely was not a bad injury, but it may need a stitch or two. 

Finally CC walks in and Poppy comes to the rescue. And Laura starts to go change clothes to go to the ER, but admits she needs to lay down, she felt faint. If this had been my own blood I would already be out, but I deal with others' usually fine. In the end Ryan went to the ER, got some glue on the wound, while we went on to Raleigh to lunch and the theatre, following all NC state laws regarding car seats.


 See, Ryan was fine:


Later in the week, while David and I went away for a night, Poppy and CC took the kids to a kids' museum not far from their house. It is a great place for creative play.