Friday, September 5, 2014

Real Time: China: The week's round-up

This was our first official week back in-country. Things are going.
You may think all I do is blog. Those are in the minutes here and there (and blogger is working great and fast these days). Plus, it is my project to catch up by this weekend. (check it off the list)

Every moment this past week has been spent deeper cleaning, and organizing. I have the girls' closet and Tobin's left to do. Every other moment was spent hauling kids to and from school, buying supplies, etc. And every other moment after that was spent doing dishes, 4x a day. I told my friend: " I feel like all I do is do dishes". She replied: "you don't feel like it, you actually are doing it". Oh yeah.

David has helped me with all of this. And we are still in transition, which K had to remind me of when I relayed Bella and Tobin's school drop-off saga. Both cried. Hard. He had to be peeled from me. She just cried and begged and pleaded. These times bring on the doubt....what am I doing to my children? I wanted to take her home. But I know consistency always pays off.

I prayed hard. Thankfully, when I picked them both up they had had a great day and assured me school was fun and that they liked it. I will remind them of this come Monday, when the tears roll again.

Meanwhile, Sophia is loving Chinese first grade. She has gone in the mornings and afternoons this week and may do that for one more week. We will slowly start core subjects at home after one more week. My projected start date for CC cycle 3 and History, etc. is Oct. 1st.Who knows?!

Sophia's school schedule is: 7:50 a.m. (arrive at school), classes start at 8:10, pick up for now is at 10:40 a.m. , they have three morning classes in first grade. Afternoon classes are from 2:10 (arrival)-5:00 pm. She said she was late during one of her breaks today and had to 'baogao' apologize at the door and be let in by the teacher. This was because she was way over at the library...so it starts, the independence and responsibility thing. I thought she was seven.

I do not have the time or the words to describe the pouring down rain debacle that was school drop-off the other day. I was astonished over and over again at various driving maneuvers. It took me over an hour to take Sophia and detour back around. A drive that the next day took less than 15 minutes.

Yes, we are eating, thanks to K, and lots of local restaurants. One day soon I hope to: menu plan, go to the market, exercise, clean consistently, and school the kids. One day soon. Soon being the relative term.